Postal department is the one of major department in India.Indian postal service started at 1 April 1774 .As of 31 March 2011, the Indian Postal Service had 154,866 post offices, of which 139,040 (89.78 percent) were in rural areas and 15,826 (10.22 percent) in urban areas.Now postal services are divided in total 22 circle in india.
The highest post office in the world is in Hikkim, Himachal Pradesh, India at a height of 15,500 ft (4,700 m) (postal code 172114).
- Postal department Established – 1 April 1774
- The first General Post Office opened in India – Kolkata(1774)
- The first Indian post office outside Indian Territory– Post office at Dakshin Gangotri in Antarctica (1983)
- The Governor General found Telegraph and Postal systems – Lord Dalhousie
- Pin system Started in India – 1972
- The speed post service started in India – 1986
- World Postal Day is observed on – October 9
- Indian Postal Day is observed on – October 10
- Highest post office in the world situated – Hikkim (Himachal Pradesh)
- Universal Postal Union founded – 1874
- Money Order system introduced in India – 1880
- Postal Life Insurance started in India – 1884
- Postal staff college situated – Ghaziabad (UP)